This is a brief history of what God has accomplished in and through Adaville Baptist Church. It is not what we have done or the road by which we have come, but rather the way God has led Adaville through His revelation to us and our response to Him.
October 8, 1909, a Presbytery met at Frog Level School for the purpose of organizing a new Baptist church. This Presbytery was composed of representatives from the following churches: Shiloh, Bethany, Forest City, Caroleen, and Mt. Vernon. The Articles of Faith of the Bethany Baptist Church were read and adopted and the Presbytery declared the “Brethren of Frog Level” a legally organized Missionary Baptist church. The new church was named Adaville in honor of Ada Moore McDonald, wife on Monroe McDonald, who gave the land on which the first church was to be built. At the time of organization, the church had thirty-six charter members and met in the school house for Sunday School.
October 16, 1909, the church authorized the planning and construction of a church building by Mr. Andy Baynard. There are no minutes in the records for the period July 16, 1910 through February 11, 1911. Undoubtedly, the church was finished and put into use during this time. According to church records, this church building was dedicated on Sunday, June 30, 1912.
The 1920’s and 1930’s were difficult times. Despite the hardships brought on by the Depression, the church continued to grow. Sunday School rooms were added to the white frame church building and the women of the church made curtains for the building out of unbleached muslin. Leadership training classes were conducted and a goal of 200 in Sunday School was reached. At the close of one summer revival more than forty people were baptized in the creek that runs through Mr. Jim Crowe’s pasture.
In 1948 and 1949, land was purchased where the old cotton gin was located and a new sanctuary with a basement was constructed. This moved the church from its Piney Ridge Road location, where the church cemetery is presently located, to its current Oakland Road location, which is the geographical center of the Oakland community. At its completion, church membership was 371. Only ten years later, continued growth necessitated the construction of a modern three-story educational building and, in 1966, the land adjacent to the church was purchased and a pastorium built. By the late 1960’s, the “Adaville Announcer” had come on to the scene and church membership stood at 515.
In 1972, the members of Adaville had a dream of building a recreational building and a planning survey committee was elected. However, with the growth of average Sunday School attendance to 222, this dream was enlarged to include educational space and, in 1973, this was approved unanimously by the church. This year also saw growth in Adaville’s ministerial staff with the calling its first full time Minister of Music. Church membership was at 622, and average Sunday School attendance was 229.
On February 27, 1974, groundbreaking services were held for the new Family Life Center and it was dedicated on October 27 of that same year. The following two years saw the construction of a Prayer Garden and average Sunday School attendance had grown to 239 and church membership had grown by 68 new members.
By 1992, membership had grown to such an extent that the sanctuary was overflowing and two Sunday morning services were held just to be able to accommodate all of the members. At this time, it was decided that a larger sanctuary was needed. In 1995, a 944 seat sanctuary was completed and dedicated on June 25. Four years later, this new sanctuary was the setting for Adaville’s 90th anniversary celebration. Current membership is 702.